Identified Civil War Hard-Sided Knapsack, Major Charles Appleby
The flap lettered: Charles Appleby – 2d Co, The back: NG / 7
Date/Period: Circa 1861
Measurement: 16.25” by 13 1/8’ by 3 5/8”
Material: Leather, canvas, tarred linen, and brass
Condition: Excellent save for a 3.5-inch tear above center tab
Additional Information: A Civil War Box Knapsack. Wood frame is covered with
leather, tarred linen, and leather straps.
Major Charles Appleby, American Civil War
A charter member of Lafayette Post #140 of the G.A.R., he served as its commander.
His name is displayed on the African American Civil War Memorial in Washington, D.C.,
plaque C-86; he was a white officer who commanded a company of black troops late in
He was born in New York City in 1844 and served in three different regiments during the
Civil War: as a private in the 7th New York State Militia, as a first lieutenant in the 3rd
Regiment [First Lieutenant of Ullman’s Brigade, Colored Troops], While Lieutenant he
took command of 100 men from the brigade, on an expedition to Jackson, Louisiana,
and skirmished with Logan’s command; He was wounded in the arm during the skirmish
near Jackson. Appleby took an active part, with his regiment, in the siege and capture of
Port Hudson, Louisiana, June 1863; engaged in picket and provost duty in Louisiana
and Texas through 1863, 1864 and,1865. He was detailed as Judge Advocate by
General Andrews at Port Hudson, March 16, 1864. At Marshall, Texas he was Provost-
Marshall. Appleby was brevetted Major, May 21, 1866.
Major Charles Appleby’s gravestone. He lay in an unmarked
Green-Wood grave from his death in 1891 until early in the 21st
century, when Green-Wood’s Civil War Project applied for,
received, and installed this V.A. gravestone. Green-Wood is a
living cemetery that brings people closer to the world as it is and
was, by memorializing the dead and bringing to life the art,
history, and natural beauty of New York City. Founded in 1838
and now a National Historic Landmark, Green-Wood was one of
the first rural cemeteries in America. By the early 1860s, it had
earned an international reputation for its magnificent beauty and
became the prestigious place to be buried.