Likely Martin Brander, son of William. Elected master of the Gun Makers Company in 1792 and 1807, he joined the Honorable Artillery Company in 1781 and was contractor to ordnance from 1798 to 1820, and to the East India Company between 1791 and 1826. He was also in partnership with Thomas Potts between 1802 until his death in 1827.
The straight-grain walnut stock with checkered wrist features successful elegant architecture and is likely in original surface. The 14" octagon-to-flaring iron barrel (1 3/8" muzzle) displays an even speckled brown fading to gray surface; barrel flats display "London" in script lettering; light engraving at breech and before wedding band; barrel displays Tower private proof and view marks, crown over crossed scepters marked twice. The breech tang is also engraved. Original flintlock configuration, step tailed lockplate with functioning safety is engraved, lockplate signed BRANDER; the cock is also engraved as is frizzen face. The action is smooth and tight. All brass furniture includes rammer pipes, trigger guard having robust molded and engraved acorn forend and long tang; the bow features floral engraving, else with border engraving. The buttplate has a well-proportioned stepped and engraved tang. Barrel pins/keys never had escutcheons; lockplate screws are engraved and set within simple escutcheons. The horn-tipped rammer complete with worm appears to be original.
Measurement: Overall length: 32.25"; barrel length: 17.5"
Reference: Please see H. L. Blackmore's: Gunmakers of London, page 59.