Antique Associates at West Townsend

About Us

Maine Antique Digest Ads

MAA and Antiques & Arts Ads

Room & Case Rentals

Sales Policy, Privacy Policy, Consignments & Brokerage

Contacts & Directions

Web Gallery

Main House Gallery

History Gallery

Antique Arms Gallery

Ten Minute Tour

Home Page
Weekly Features
Recent Features
Recent Site Adds
Recent Price Changes

Jan/Feb 2019 Man At Arms Ad 1 | 2

Like Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Facebook  Follow Us

Flintlock Pistol, Marked Twigg and London, Third Quarter 18th Century
John Fox Twig, Gunmaker, London (1732-1792)
.62-caliber, 7.5” round barrel, octagon at breech, the bore with thin layer of dirt, else fine; overall length is 13.5”; a lovely gentleman’ s Pistol - SOLD


Twigg name is shown clearly on the lock, with "London" on the top of the barrel; three proof marks on the left side of the barrel opposite the hammer. All metal is smooth and bright. The walnut stock with some figure, shows good color and remains in excellent original surface. The ramrod with worm is original and retains brass end-cap. The action is smooth and strong; holds on half and full cock; all brass furniture including vacant escutcheon at top of grip.
John Fox Twigg was born at Grantham, Lincolnshire, in 1732 and is listed by Heer (1978) as being apprenticed to the Irish gunmaker, Edward Newton (active 1718-1764), though no dates for the apprenticeship are offered.
By 1755, Blackmore (1986) lists Twigg working as a gunmaker from Angel Ct., Charing Cross until 1760 when he moved to 132 Strand, opposite Catherine St., and continued at this address until 1776. He moved again in 1776, this time to Piccadilly where he remained until 1790. During these 14 years he opened several warehouses; at little Somerset St., in 1771; 30 Cornhill, 1777 and Tower Hill in 1779. His only son, John, was apprenticed in 1786 to Henry Nock, and subsequently inherited his father's business.
In 1788 Twigg formed a partnership with his nephew, John Bass (b.1761 - d.1794) although this was cut short by Twigg's death. As Blackmore notes, however, the trade directories are misleading in this respect, and show the business continuing at Piccadilly until 1795. (Museums Victoria)

728-47

 

For further information, contact David Hillier drh@aaawt.com or 978 597-8084.









Copyright 2003-2018, Antique Associates at West Townsend