Condition: Very good with one tiny open bubble stretched rim.
Additional Information: Tiffany pastel blue glass compote on clear saucer foot and
pedestal continuing to an oval shaped low bowl with pastel blue stretched rim,
decorated with opalescent pulled feather.
Additional Information: This special Tiffany Studios finger bowl has a white exterior
with a pastel purple, cream and yellow swirl interior design displaying gold highlights.
The bowl is finished with a slightly stretched, onion skin rim. Marked on the underside
“L.C.T. Favrile N3209”. The “N” prefix indicates that this piece was made in 1900. We
believe this may be an experimental piece as we have an identical piece in green which
is marked for experimental.
Additional Information: Tiffany Studios urn shaped finger bowl having ribbed sides
and flared ruffled rim; bright gold favrile glass featuring brilliant blue and platinum
highlights Signed on the underside “L. C. Tiffany – Favrile 4225G”. The “G” suffix
indicates that this piece was made in 1912.
Additional Information: Small pedestal vase is gold iridescent glass having platinum
highlights and slightly flaring rim. Pedestal foot is translucent iridescent glass displaying
strong platinum-blue at the rim. Signed on the underside “L.C. Tiffany Favrile” in script
as well as having a partial Tiffany paper label in the polished pontil.
Additional Information: Tiffany Studios gold iridescent ruffled salt displaying platinum
highlights on both interior and exterior with flashes of pink. The Tiffany Studios
Company located in New York City was one of the finest and most famous producers of
fine art glass in the world during the late 19th and early 20th century based in
The Handel Lamp Company developed and perfected the art of reverse painted lamp
shades, well beyond those of other contemporaries for their exceptionally realistic
scenes and vibrant color. Manufactured in Meriden, CT from 1885-1936. This example
decorated with chipped ice texture on a hexagonal ridged shade features fish swimming
amongst aquatic plants against a mottled blue, cream and pink ground. The shade is
fitted on an original unsigned Handel bronzed base cast with a mermaid holding a giant
clamshell on her shoulder which supports the ribbed stem continuing to a three socket
cluster with a fleur-de-lis cap. Handel’s underwater scene lamps such as this have
always been one of the most desirable lamps and this one is truly an outstanding
example with great paint. The base is finished in a rich red-brown patina with subtle
green highlights. This shade diameter is: 15.5”, the lamp stands at 21.5” overall.
Very good to excellent condition
This beautiful. Handel table lamp is reverse painted with a scene of sailing ships off the
shore of islands with stormy sky above. The island shoreline has a lighthouse, rocks
and a tree in bloom. Exterior of shade is finished in chipped ice giving the reverse
painting a textured feel. Shade rests on an original Handel base with leaf design around
the foot and stem leading to a three-socket cluster and fleur-de-lis cap. Base is signed
on the underside “Handel”. The shade measures approximately 17.75” in diameter; the
lamp is approximately 25” tall. Very good condition with only some typical wear to finish
on base, otherwise all else good. Base is professionally rewired so that is safe to use.
A nice example, half pint in yellow amber, RAILROAD horse drawn cart and LOWELL
with eagle centered by stars on reverse; pontil, sheared and tooled lip.
See pattern GV-10, American Bottles & Flasks, (Part VIII),
by Helen McKearin and Kenneth Wilson.
Ale or Liquor Glass, Magnum Size Funnel Shape Bowl, Colorless, Ground Pontil
Unknown Maker; leaded glass
Never seen anything like this; please share your thoughts
(Shallow fleabite chip to rim, else fine; H: 8.75"; diameter: 6.75") $565
Blown Molded Glass Vase, Colorless, Outer Applied Bands, Ground Pontil
Possibly Boston, First Quarter 19th Century, H: 7", Fine
Celery Vase, Cut Glass, Bakewell Type, Strawberry and Fan Pattern
Likely Pittsburgh, Circa 1820 - SOLD
10 Days Before the Masses...AAAWT Advance Notice Email Program
We offer a 10 Day Early Preview to All AAAWT major Web Site Updates
including Bulk Item Adds,
Special Offerings, MAD , Man-at-Artms, and BEE Ads, plus the earliest possible pre-announcments for
Major Gallery Updates, Mass Price Reductions, Special Interest Sales. Choose from "Arms Only",
"Art and Antiques Only" or 'All Updates" Just one or two emails per month with a no-hassle Opt-Out
option with every email. When you sign up here, you will be redirected to the apprpriate Advance Email
Sign-up Confirmation Page, confirming that your entry was successful, and placing you to do some shopping! Welcome to our Advance Notice Email Program !
Lobster ova [ovum] were incubated in large glass jars known as Wilmot jars that were constantly replenished with cold salt water.
Lobster was one of the first fisheries to be regulated in the new Dominion of Canada after 1867. As early as 1870, catch size and weights were being monitored and by the late 19th century there was already a concern that lobster stocks were declining in the Northumberland Straight.
In 1891 following a survey undertaken by Samuel Wilmot, Superintendent of Fish Culture, the first lobster hatchery in Canada was established at the Little Entrance of Caribou Harbor, then known as Bayview. The hatchery relied on local canneries and fishers to supply lobster eggs to incubate. With several canneries nearby including the American firm of Burnham & Morrell, the location was central to the thriving fishery.
Lobster hatching and seeding was practiced in Europe by the late 1700’s and Canadian scientists were familiar with the methods established in Norway. A hatchery in Dildo Island, Newfoundland managed by Norwegian Adolf Neilson was the model for the Bayview Hatchery. Lobster ova were incubated in large glass jars known as Wilmot jars that were constantly replenished with cold salt water.
The hatchery was a simple shed lined with rows of shelves holding Wilmot jars fed by an overhead tap lining an upper shelf. The eggs grew into larvae, which, when sufficiently developed, were released into the waters of Northumberland Straight. Several million larvae were seeded into surrounding waters every year from the Bayview hatchery. By 1894, over 12 other hatcheries were established, 8 in Nova Scotia, 2 in New Brunswick and 2 in Quebec. The hatchery operations were very successful for a time but by 1917 there was no substantive evidence that seeding lobster larvae increased lobster stocks and the hatcheries were closed. (Height: 11.5"; diameter: 9")
Rectangular enamel decorated glass spirits bottle with chamfered corners, colorless glass with red, yellow, white, green and blue enameled decoration depicting a bird within floral decoration, similar decoration on reverse; canted panels with scrolled flourishes; sheared mouth with applied pewter collar, pontil scar. Height: 5.5”.
Blown goblet with attached foot and stem; cut and engraved decoration with gilt highlighting of a ship and the words "Nelson's Victory"; possibly decorated to commemorate Admiral Nelson's victory at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805; trace of gilded monogram, possibly "JEC." The goblet is in excellent condition.
With the defeat of his fleet at Trafalgar in 1805, Napoleon's hope to break the British blockade and to invade England was dashed. For England the victory came dearly, for it cost the life of the nation's greatest captain, Horatio Viscount Nelson. English merchants and manufacturer's immediately upon learning of the great victory, and the loss of the popular navel commander, began producing a variety of commemorative items. This flint goblet is an example of the type of souvenir that was marketed to a grieving, adoring public. It is somewhat unusual in that it puns the name of Nelson's flagship HMS Victory and the positive result of the Battle of Trafalgar for England. Approximately 8-inches high; diameter: 5.5-inches.
A wafer joins each stick, the mold marks do not line up on one stick, hexagonal sticks such as these were produced in Sandwich. Excellent condition. Barlow Kaiser number 4026. (Approximately 9 �-inches high.)